Cavaleiro Farm is hiring! We are looking for a CSA Delivery Person to deliver vegetable boxes to our Schomberg Vegetable Box (CSA) program customers once a week (May–October). Our CSA Delivery Person will also help with harvesting and putting together our customers’ orders each week, as well as working with our farmers in the gardens to help maintain our crops.
We gratefully acknowledge our funder for this job position, the Government of Canada (Canada Summer Jobs Program).
- Responsible for the distribution of CSA orders, including planning the delivery schedule and locations.
- Drives to delivery locations once a week (Tuesdays) and interfaces with customers to drop-off their vegetable boxes and pick up empty bins (abiding by COVID safety measures).
- Assists with garden work, including weeding, applying compost to garden beds, and harvesting vegetables.
- Assists with putting together CSA customers’ orders on harvest day (Tuesdays and Saturdays).
Start / end dates: May 9–October 16, 2021
Work location: Cavaleiro Farm (18th Side Road, Schomberg, Ontario) / deliveries will be local (Schomberg, King, Bolton)
Number of work hours per week: 16
- Has their own car that has room for up to 20 bins (e.g., station wagon, minivan, SUV)
- Has a G driver’s license
- Age 16–30 (in accordance with the Canada Summer Jobs Program requirements)
- Lives in/near the Schomberg area
Skills development and mentorship:
We will also create a skills development plan for our CSA Delivery Person to help facilitate the individual’s client service, teamwork, communication, digital, and leadership skills – all valuable skills to take to any workplace. Training and feedback on the development of these skills will be provided by Farmer Antonio.
Farmer Antonio will also provide mentorship meetings once a month, during which time he will learn about the CSA Delivery Person’s career objectives and share his professional experience to support the CSA Delivery Person’s skills and career development.
To apply: Please email Antonio at [email protected] with your resume.
What is a CSA?
Sometimes we refer to our Schomberg Vegetable Box program as our “CSA” or “CSA program.” CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture, which is a model where consumers connect directly to the farmer for their food. It’s a relationship that is mutually beneficial to both the farmer and the eater.
For the farmer, because we receive payment from our CSA members at the beginning of the season, we’re able to invest in all the upfront costs of growing food for the season without the risk and volatility that comes along with not having pre-orders of food.
For the member, they get to access and eat organic, tasty foods that are often unavailable in supermarkets, as well as create stronger connections with their food and the people who grow it. They also feel good knowing they’re supporting their local farmers’ livelihood in recognizing the challenges that farmers face to sustain a profitable business.